[BUSINESS] Basic principles for seeking video and photo content

Discussion Of Everything Legal Is Good
koster

Re: [BUSINESS] Basic principles for seeking video and photo content

Post by koster » May 3rd, 2020, 8:01 am

So a seller or service provider promotes their business without offering the costs involved, buyers have to email the person ask for the prices but you do not want them asking you what the cost is. How can you make a deal without telling the buyer what it costs.

BlazeMaker

Post by BlazeMaker » May 3rd, 2020, 9:48 am

koster wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 8:01 am
So a seller or service provider promotes their business without offering the costs involved, buyers have to email the person ask for the prices but you do not want them asking you what the cost is. How can you make a deal without telling the buyer what it costs.
Where did you get the notion "buyers have to email the person ask for the prices but you do not want them asking you what the cost is"?
"Rates" and "prices" are not the same as the total "cost" of producing a video which involves many elements.

I am more than happy to be asked what the cost is for a specific production for which I know exactly what must be delivered.
Which is why I put in my post:
"What is useful would be those wishing to purchase content provide a brief covering what they are looking for (scenes, clip duration(s), HD or UHD, number of photos in a photoset, production value such as lighting, locations, raw footage or edited, how it is delivered, the deadline etc. and maybe even a sample clip) and the budget range they usually work on."

You asked "How can you make a deal without telling the buyer what it costs. "
Flip that around, how can you make a deal when you don't know what the buyer wants?

As an example of the problem, lets say I go to a car yard and ask "how much for a car?"
Would they immediately give me a price for
- a 20-year-old Kia with bald tyres, smoking exhaust, a cracked windscreen and no registration, or
- a brand new Mercedes-Benz GLE 580 registered and with five years service,
or would they ask a range of questions to determine what sort of car I wanted, for what purpose and what is my budget?

It is just a matter of understanding that a "video" could be 1 minute of a guy having a wank self-shot on a cell-phone or "Pirates 2: Stagnetti’s Revenge" (which cost USD$8 million back in 2008)

That's why there is no one "rate".

born2bewild

Post by born2bewild » May 4th, 2020, 6:01 am

Some one here is upset

BlazeMaker

Post by BlazeMaker » May 4th, 2020, 6:16 am

born2bewild wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:01 am
Some one here is upset
Who?

born2bewild

Post by born2bewild » May 4th, 2020, 6:18 am

BlazeMaker wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:16 am
born2bewild wrote:
Some one here is upset
Who?
You

BlazeMaker

Post by BlazeMaker » May 4th, 2020, 6:27 am

born2bewild wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:18 am
BlazeMaker wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:16 am
born2bewild wrote:
Some one here is upset
Who?
You
Really? You can't tell the difference between a straight-forward call for better understanding of good business practice and "upset".
Interesting.

born2bewild

Post by born2bewild » May 4th, 2020, 6:32 am

dude you come across as a guy who is pissed at others for trying to do business with you. It's 3.30am going to bed. See you later.

BlazeMaker

Post by BlazeMaker » May 4th, 2020, 6:36 am

born2bewild wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:32 am
dude you come across as a guy who is pissed at others for trying to do business with you. It's 3.30am going to bed. See you later.
Not a all.
I am advocating for a sensible approach to doing business that makes it easier for everyone.

chilli.domains

Post by chilli.domains » May 4th, 2020, 7:18 am

BlazeMaker wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:36 am

Not a all.
I am advocating for a sensible approach to doing business that makes it easier for everyone.
you sure do not make sense to me

BlazeMaker

Post by BlazeMaker » May 4th, 2020, 7:52 am

chilli.domains wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 7:18 am
BlazeMaker wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:36 am

Not a all.
you sure do not make sense to me
Let me summarise it:
A buyer should not ask for "rates" with no other information.
That's like going to a restaurant chef and asking "what are your rates" and not describing the meal and drinks you want.
Do you want cordon bleu 10-course degustation accompanied with a small glass of wine to suit every course, or a cheese sandwich and glass of water?

It is better for a content buyer to describe exactly what they want and ask for a quote or budget,
or even better describe what they want and what the available budget is and see if something can be tailored for the available budget.

Honestly if someone wants "rates" I can provide 100 line items of rates for everything involved in producing a quality production and the recipient can guess how many crew and hours are involved, the equipment needed, location fees, catering, edit hours and so on.

As I stated in another post, there is a massive difference between a video which is 1 min of masturbation self-shot with a cell phone and a video which is "Pirates II: Stagnetti's Revenge" (2008) with famous actors, huge cast and crew, costumes, locations etc.

[BUSINESS] Basic principles for seeking video and photo content